« Home | Crickets chirping » | Electricity, chemicals, and cookies » | 'urricaines 'ardly HEVER 'appen » | Low carb epic fail » | Knitting like the wind » | This post is Green! » | Labor Day 08 » | Ch ch ch changes . . . or not. » | Baby wren » | Posting from the Vineyard »

How a toad made me bake ginger snaps

On Tuesday the girls helped their father do yard work. At this age, "helping" generally consists of staying out of the way. While they were out there, the three of them found a toad. It must have been a remarkable toad because I got to hear all about it the moment I came home from work.

The story about the toad reminded me that we have a "Frog and Toad" treasury that we haven't read from in a while. I had a Frog and Toad book growing up, and if having your own kids isn't an excuse to relive one's childhood I don't know what is. So we read about the time when Toad baked cookies, and neither Frog nor Toad had the willpower to stop eating them. The story never mentions what kind of cookies they were, but for some reason in my mind they were always tiny ginger snaps. Maybe it's the fact that the illustrations are only in brown and green.

For the rest of the week, I couldn't quit thinking of ginger snaps. Tonight found me back in the kitchen (last week's kolache went over very well at the wedding), baking ginger cookies from Better Homes and Garden's "Giant Ginger Cookie" recipe. I made mine small, though, just like Toad's. I have no intention of feeding them to birds.

About me

  • I'm Sarah
  • From Pittsburgh, United States
My profile
www.flickr.com

Links