« Home | Must fight....the....urge... » | La la la la la » | Here I am » | Rite of passage » | Baby norgi and teething toes » | Oh, yeah, more knitting. » | A finished object » | What I did on my summer vacation » | File under: Things I really already knew but still... » | Knitter in training »

I just did something I swore I'd never do.

This evening, I did something I always said I wouldn't. I waited until Claire was asleep. I let DH rest up for work, but made sure to leave enough time before he had to leave. I went upstairs, and slipped into something a little more comfortable, including a new item I picked up earlier this week for just such an occasion. I quelled the feeling of embarrassment that nagged at the back of my mind, grabbed my favorite electric gizmo, turned it on, and went jogging.

I have never run intentionally before unless required to do so in gym class. Many many years ago. I've been known to mock joggers, stating flatly that I don't run unless something with many teeth is chasing me. I felt the way about jogging that some atheists do about religion - it was fine for others, but not for me.

Why the sudden turn around? I don't know. DH is taking it up again, having run track in high school and *shudder* liking it. Maybe it's monkey-see-monkey-do. I sprung back to 5lbs lighter than my prepregnancy weight by the time Claire was 3 months old. I don't really watch my diet, fortunately being blessed with a great metabolism. Of course I realize one can't rely on that for life, that middle age can be cruel in that respect, but really you should see my parents. There's some great calorie-processing genes in our immediate family. However, I know that the fact that someone has an appropriate BMI does not automatically physically fit. I want more stamina, more energy. I want to stop falling asleep on the couch at 10:00. I'd love to lose the dragging feeling that hits between 1:00 and 2:30 in the afternoon. I don't know if running is the way to do that, but it can't hurt.

So I've started the "Couch to 5K" program from Coolrunning.com. I downloaded the highly regarded podcast by Robert Ullrey. I bought my first pair of running shoes. I ran. So far, so good. I can't tell you if this will be a regular thing or if I'll drop it as soon as the novelty wears off and the weather sours.
But tonight, I ran. Go me. Literally.

About me

  • I'm Sarah
  • From Pittsburgh, United States
My profile
www.flickr.com

Links