« Home | Birthdays - check. May I please go back to work now? » | Christmas - check. On to birthdays! » | Twas the night before the night before the night b... » | I was expecting this » | Determination » | Computers are great . . . » | Pretty! » | Pow! » | The day after » | Take that, universe! »

It's a toysplosion.

The girls have a playroom. This is a good thing, as it keeps us from impaling our feet on Legos and having to clear baby dolls off the furniture so as to sit down.
The playroom is complete and utter mayhem. I understand that toddlers and preschoolers aren't going to be good at putting things away. I don't mind that there are toys about. What bothers me is the pointless and gratuitous toysplosion that happens in the playroom.

There are bins. There are shelves. There are places for books, puzzles, and games. There are places for dress-up clothes and toy kitchen items. There are places for art supplies and cds and play-doh. And the girls' favorite thing to do is to trash the whole place with thoroughness. The books are knocked off their shelves. The games are opened and their contents scatter to the four winds. (it's a drafty house) The blocks are tossed, the toy box emptied, the bins upended. Crayons are dumped. Tonight they took it to a new height and upended both the art desk and the play kitchen. Flipped them upside down and tossed them across the room.

The result is puzzles with half their pieces missing. Games rendered unplayable. Mr. Unreserved says, "We can still play that game - all the pieces are in here somewhere." Yes, that's what I want to do with my spare time. Scour along the walls and under the furniture for enough tiny cherries to play Hi Ho Cherry O. Assuming the spinner is ever found. I wouldn't be irritated if the mess was from playing with things, but it's mess for mess's sake.

I am 100% certain that this is nothing new and I am not alone. I'm just not sure what to do about it. The girls need to be taught that this isn't acceptable. (You can quit snickering now, Mom.) Part of me thinks that the trashed toys are punishment in their own right, but I know the girls don't care. There's such a bounty that if they can't find enough body parts to build Mr. Potato head, they'll just go back to coloring themselves purple with markers.
Hm. . .

At least they didn't blame you for making the mess.

I'm still snickering....

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Sarah
  • From Pittsburgh, United States
My profile
www.flickr.com

Links