« Home | Home improvement ahoy! » | Slow but progress » | Just can't get ahead... » | A mind like a steel trap » | Holy Hell » | Trick or Treat! » | If *insert name here* ain't sleeping, ain't nobody... » | I just did something I swore I'd never do. » | Must fight....the....urge... » | La la la la la »

And to all a good night

I hope all seven of my readers had the merriest of Christmases. I know we here at Chez Unreserved did. As merry as can be expected considering Christmas is more like a marathon than a holiday. I mean this in the best possible way, but holy cow what a lot of extra work it is!
I hear people lamenting the loss of the mystical qualities the Christmases of their youth seemed to posses. I think it's sort of like Disney World. If you were a high school band nerd in the past 15 yrs or so, you may have had the opportunity to march in a parade there. The theme park management is very protective of the image portrayed inside the gates of the park. While waiting behind the scenes, we were strictly warned that anyone caught taking pictures of "backstage" would have their camera confiscated and the film destroyed. It's not that there was anything horrific back there (at least in the parts we were privy to), but it's disconcerting to see Dopey sans head.
In the same way, when actively involved in making Christmas happen in one's own household, it can require effort to sit back and watch the magic unfold without the constant "I need to grab a garbage bag for all this giftwrap which reminds me that the trash needs to go out tomorrow and that means I should scoop the cat box before morning speaking of the cat we're low on cat food must add that to the grocery list along with more size three diapers and another bunch of bananas...." monologue running through one's head.
Anyway, Christmas came and is in the process of wenting and our living room looks like it's been toy bombed and Anna has subsisted on nearly unadulterated cane sugar for the past several days. I'm off work for the week and doing my best to be as unproductive as possible. It makes me twitchy. The kitchen did not get finished in time for the holidays, of course. Now that I've lost my momentum, the thought of sanding drywall mud makes me cringe. We just got all the dust cleaned up! But if I do, there's a good chance the walls will be done enough to paint, and that should inspire the sprint to the finish line. Meh. Time to drink more eggnog and knit.

About me

  • I'm Sarah
  • From Pittsburgh, United States
My profile
www.flickr.com

Links